Lyon Bros.’ saw and grist-mill, on road 40, was built by them in 1882. The grist-mill has one run of stones and does both custom and merchant work, grinding about 40,000 bushels of grain per year. The saw-mill has a circular saw, shingle machine and a planer, saws about 500,000 feet of lumber and 150,000 shingles per year. They employ four men.
B. T. Wetherll’s saw-mill, on road 26 1/2, operated by N. H. Lyman, was built in 1888, upon the site of the old John Lyman mill, which has been standing for more than a half century. The mill has a circular and bench-saw and shingle machine. It turns out about 200,000 feet of lumber, 100,000 shingles, and about 6,000 dozen whip-buts annually.
Herman Hupfer’s elastic fabric mill, at Glandale, has just been put into operation by him Mr. Hupfer has been in the employ of the Glendale Co. at Easthampton for the past twenty years, and together with his skill and knowledge of the business, he brings with him considerable skilled labor besides. The mill of the Glendale Co. which has been standing idle for some time, has been taken by him, a large, light, airy structure. He has at present three looms in operation, and employs five hands, though the capacity will doubtless soon be increased. They are now running, entirely elastic shoe goring after a patent of his own.
Charles Wait’s saw-mill and cider-mill, at Russellville, has a circular saw, one bench-saw, slab-saw, and shingle machine. He employs two men and turns out 200,000 feet of lumber and 100,000 shingles per year. The cider-mill turns out about 3,000 barrels of cider per year.
Peck & Parson’s saw-mill, on r 19 was built by Allen C. Bartlett, about 1875. It has a circular saw, two bench-saws, planer, etc. They employ three men and cut about 200,000 feet of lumber per year.
William N. Grave’s saw-mill, on road 2, was built by the Parsons family about a century ago. Mr. Graves manufactures about 200 barrels of cider per year.
Charles D Russell & Sons’s whip factory, at Russellville, was built by them in 1865. When in full operation they employ three men and turn out about $3,000 worth of business per year.
L. C. Tiffany’s whip shop, on High Street, was established by him in 1864. He manufactures, with his son, about 800 dozen per year, the machine part of the work being all done in Westfield.
Jesse F. Finch’s blacksmith shop, on road 23, was built by his father, James B. Finch, about thirty years ago. He now does all blacksmith work, horse shoeing, jobbing, and general repair work.
George D. Hannum’s cider-mill, on road 23, was originally built many years ago. It has the capacity for turning out about 1,500 barrels per year.
Philo J. Pomeroy has on his farm, on road 23, a valuable bed of fine blue pottery clay, covering an area of nearly forty acres, and averaging about twenty feet in depth. He and his father, George Pomeroy, made brick here from this clay for about forty years, or up to the time of the latter’s death, in 1881. The deposit is in a desireable location being only one and one fourth miles from the depot at Easthampton, so that valuable potteries might be established here.
Return to the Edwards Public Library website.